Monday, October 20, 2008

A prediction, but hopefully not.

Well, Julie and I finished watching the last debate last night and I've come to realize that we're probably screwed regardless of whether Obama or McCain wins the election.  I think they're both wrong more than they're right and both have too many problems.  I won't go into all my problems with both candidates again, read my past posts if you're interested, but I will offer a prediction...

Now let me preface this by saying I hope to God that I am wrong about this...  But I fear that regardless of who wins the election we're going to have another terror attack on US soil within the first year of the new president's inauguration.  Hopefully it'll just be a foiled attempt, but I think an attack or at least major attempt at an attack is inevitable.  Both candidates have been saying that the other candidate's policies on fighting terror are wrong, the economy is in shambles, and we already have our military spread pretty thin across the entire middle east.  A successful attack next year would probably throw our political arena into a mad house of finger pointing, accusations, and hysteria.  I can see it now, the losing party pointing at the winner saying, "see, if only we had done things our way".  Our economy would probably suffer even more than it is.  And, if the attack looked like it was masterminded from another region (maybe Africa or Asia, like Indonesia) it could serve to force us to spread our military even thinner. 

We're currently in a situation in our country where all the ingredients are there for a disaster.  Hopefully any terror activity will be successfully thwarted by US intelligence, Homeland Security, the military, and all the other forces that serve to protect our country.  Or better yet, I hope I'm wrong about a future attack completely.  But if one does come I pray that our country is strong enough to pull together and survive and that the damage done isn't so severe that we can't persevere. 

No comments: