Friday, September 26, 2008

To Facebook or not to Facebook...

I joined Facebook about a year ago but never really did anything with it.  Then when Julie and I got our new laptops a few weeks ago we both started playing around on it more.  I have to tell you, it's addictive.  Up to a bout three weeks ago I think I had eight friends listed.  I accepted friend requests, but never bothered asking anyone to be my friend.  I don't know, there just seems to be something pitiful with sending a message to someone you haven't seen, talked to, or emailed in years and saying "be my friend".  But as I started browsing the communities I started seeing more and more people that made me think, "Wow, I always wondered what happened to so and so."  So I started sending friend requests.  Then the other day I noticed that another friend from high school just joined Facebook.  So I sent him a friend request.  And I started thinking, hey, I saw these people every day for four years (in some cases 13 years!).  So what if I haven't seen them in over a decade.  They were friends and acquaintences for a large portion of my life.  And it's not like I'm asking them to be the guardians of my kid or to drive a getaway car, I'm just saying hi to old friends...  So now I'm up to 75 friends.  I feel so popular...  It's nice to see what everyone's been up to over the last dozen+ years.

So now I'm fully engrossed in Facebook.  It's addictive, it really is.  But I think it's worth it.  So many people cross my mind and now I don't have to wonder, at least for some of them. 

So to all my old friends and new facebook buddies, "Hey!  how's it been!"

No comments: